This weekend saw a number of WLTF athletes open their 2017 competitive campaign at the South of England Championships. After two days of exciting action, a total of 5 Lifetime Bests, 3 equal Lifetime Bests, one championship record, one gold medal, one silver, and 4 bronze medals were earned.
Sprints & Hurdles round-up
Our first taste of success came in the first final of the day, the men's 60m Hurdles. Reece Young had already ran a PB in his heat, he ran quicker again is his final to grab the bronze medal. Jack Kirby ran well to place 4th, after running very close to his PB in the heat.
We then saw the sprinters race over 60m. Laura Aregbe ran a PB of 7.74 secs in the Under 20 race. Rachel Pithers also opened her season with an equal PB in the senior women's race. Clieo Stephenson, Shereen Charles and Luke Sargeant all ran within 0.1 secs of their 60m PB.
Overall a positive start to 2017 for the West London Sprints and Hurdles group.
Pole Vault round up
Sunday saw a number of stand-out performances from the West London Pole Vault crew, with :
- Shaye Emmett (U20) vaulted 3.50m to win the U20 women's competition
- Hen Paxton secured a silver medal with her 4.10m vault in the senior women's competition
- Jess Robinson (U20) broke the U20 Championship record with a 3.90m vault - her highest ever season opener - and also took home the bronze medal in the senior women's competition
- Alexa Eichelmann vaulted 3.40m to take the bronze medal in the U20 women's competition
- Owen Heard (U17) took the bronze medal in the U20 men's competition
- Emma Andersson vaulted an indoor PB with 3.80m
- Sophie Dowson (U20) vaulted an indoor PB of 3.70m
- Jade Spencer-Smith (U17) vaulted a lifetime best with a fantastic 3.70m vault
- Emily MacDonald (U20) vaulted a lifetime best of 3.30m
- Georgia West (U20) vaulted a lifetime best of 2.80m
The total medal haul from West London Pole Vault athletes accounted for 66% of the medals on offer from the women's championship competitions. Congratulations to everyone for the great display of vaulting!
The next competition will be the London Games on the 21st/22nd January for U15 and U17 athletes, and 28th/29th January for U20 and Senior athletes.